It’s been described as the silent death when a child slips under the water. There is no screaming, no splashing, just silence. A child can drown in the time it takes to answer a phone.
Many of the areas VIP Mortgage serves are warm climates with backyard pools, including Arizona, California and Texas. According to the American Red Cross, more than 200 children drowned in backyard pools every year and is the leading cause of death in children under four years old.
Although there is no better prevention than adult supervision, here are some other measures to help ensure your children are safe this summer season.
- Being present isn’t enough. Children that cannot swim should be within arm’s reach at all times.
- Never allow anyone to swim alone – whether they are a proficient swimmer or not.
- Enclose the pool with a safety fence at least 4-feet high. There are also safety nets available.
- Secure the pool gate with a lock. Many gates lock automatically.
- Pool alarms are a great deterrent which will go off if anyone enters the pool.
Remember too, pools aren’t the only water hazard. Children are constantly at risk for falling into unsupervised hot tubs and Jacuzzis. Be sure these are properly covered as well.
And lastly, be sure to learn CPR. Taking a first aid and CPR course can truly save a life.